The reality is about 85% of all jobs are found through networking. So, it makes sense that networking is a skill you’d want to learn and practice. Here are some tips to improve your networking skills and help you land your next job.
Why Does Networking Matter?
Networking gives you access to the hidden job market. Many jobs are not advertised on job boards or company websites. These “hidden” jobs are often filled through referrals and personal connections. By networking, you can tap into this market.
Networking can also help you develop your professional skills and knowledge. If you attend industry networking events, you will pick up new skills while meeting new people. You can ask these new contacts for referrals and job recommendations in their company. Networking can also build relationships with a network of colleagues and mentors. These connections help you find new job opportunities, develop professionally, and navigate workplace challenges.
Ultimately, networking helps you find better career opportunities. This could include higher salaries, better benefits, and more meaningful work.
These benefits can be yours if you learn to network. Here are some tips for how to network properly to benefit your career search.
Here are some tips on how to network effectively:
- Attend industry events, conferences, and seminars to meet new people.
- Join professional associations and organizations related to your field. These groups provide opportunities to network with other professionals and learn new trends and best practices.
- Use social media tools like LinkedIn to connect with other professionals in your field. LinkedIn is a particularly useful tool for making professional connections.
- Participate in online forums and discussion groups related to your field. These groups provide a platform to connect with other professionals, share information and advice, and build your online presence.
- Volunteering is a great way to meet new people and develop your skills while giving back to your community. Look for volunteer opportunities related to your field, such as helping with an industry conference.
- Reach out to professionals in your field and ask for informational interviews. These discussions provide an opportunity to learn about the industry, company, or position and gain insights into what it takes to be successful.
Connect With Our Team Today!
Networking is about the professional relationships you build. You can start by reaching out to the ADD STAFF team to talk about where you want to head next in your career. Our recruiting teams are experienced and dedicated to our mission—which is to help you find the meaningful work you’ve set your eyes on. Talk with our team. We can help you network your way to the best job of your life. Contact us to find out more.